TAOIST ALCHEMY ONLINE
Effective Date: April 6, 2023
1. HOW WE OBTAIN YOUR DATA
The Service collects and processes personal data, which is information about you or that identifies you, as well as anonymous data, which does not identify you.
Subject to legal, contractual and technical requirements, you may choose not to provide TAO with certain data or request the deletion of certain data, which may impact the Service features available to you or essential operations of the Service.
2. PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
The following is a description of the personal data that we may collect, use and process in connection with the Service:
- your full name;
- email address;
- account username and password;
- your country of residence;
- feedback and comments you share through surveys, ratings, comments, emails, social media and other forms of communication
- payment information; and
- any other personal information that you choose to share with us through the Website, discussion areas, email communications or our social media accounts.
We also collect anonymous data that does not identify you, including but not limited to user feedback, activity feeds, course progression data, metrics and other types of statistical data, which could be derived from use of the Service and analytical data concerning the Service.
3. PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL AND ANONYMOUS DATA
We process your personal and anonymous data primarily for our legitimate business purposes, such as providing the Service to you, understanding your needs and the needs of our users, communicating with you and improving the quality of the Service. Specifically, these uses include but are not limited to:
- providing the Service;
- investigating improper or suspicious activity;
- providing marketing information, newsletters and updates on the Service;
- tracking visits, clicks, progress of completion of Services, Services activity information and views to and on the Website and blog posts for marketing purposes;
- supporting the security and integrity of the Service and its users including but not limited to detecting and protecting TAO and other third parties against error, fraud, theft and other illegal activity or for contractual, legal, regulatory or audit obligations; and
- contacting you for various reasons including, but not limited to, user feedback requests, surveys, Service activity, ratings, comments or marketing purposes and events, if you previously consented to such contact.
We may disclose your personal and anonymous data to our parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, employees and contractors (if any) for the same purposes described above. We may also disclose your personal and anonymous data to third parties, who may be located in a foreign jurisdiction and subject to foreign laws. The situations where we disclose your personal and anonymous information to third parties include, but are not limited to:
- providing the Service;
- processing your information as described above as well as providing and enhancing the Service features;
- processing payment for the Service;
- providing customer support and feedback, analyzing the Service functionality and technical issues, tracking use of the Service and generating reports and data models that we use to improve the Service; and
- responding to a request from law enforcement or a government that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the data or where TAO has reasonable grounds to believe the data could be useful in the investigation of unlawful activity, complying with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of data, complying with court rules regarding the production of records and data, defending our rights and the rights of others or providing information to our legal counsel.
4. THIRD PARTY SERVICES
The Service is restricted to users who are the age of majority in the applicable jurisdiction. TAO does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of majority. If you suspect that a user is under the age of majority, please notify the TAO immediately at [email protected].
The Service is not directed to children under the age of majority and although it may be possible that children below the age of majority access certain features of the Service, we do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of majority without first obtaining the appropriate parental consent required by law. If we learn that we inadvertently collected personal data from a child under the age of majority, in a jurisdiction where consent of a parent or guardian is required to be collected prior to the collection of such personal data, without first obtaining such appropriate parental consent, we will delete that data as quickly as possible. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under majority, who you believe provided TAO with personal data without your consent, please contact us at [email protected].
6. COOKIES AND DIGITAL TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
7. OBTAINING, RECTIFYING AND CONTROLLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
You may contact TAO to obtain a copy of any personal data we collected about you, the production of which may be subject to a fee as permitted by applicable law. In addition, you may contact TAO to correct inaccurate personal data or to complete incomplete personal data.
You may be able to opt-out of some or all of the ways in which your personal data is processed, or request the deletion of certain personal data, except where the personal data is necessary or vital:
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to protect your interests or those of another person; or
- for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third-party,
and may do so by removing personal data, if the Service permits such removal, by ceasing your access to TAO and contacting us using the contact information found below.
8. DATA STORAGE, RETENTION AND TRANSFERS
While TAO is a Canadian company, the data you provide through the Service may be stored and processed by third parties in countries around the world. You authorize TAO to process your data in any country of their choosing, which may cause your data, including personal and anonymous data, to be subject to privacy protections and legal rights that may not be equivalent to those in your country.
Your personal data is retained for the earliest of: (i) 3 years; (ii) until you request its deletion; (iii) until TAO no longer requires such data for the purpose for which it was collected; or (iv) until required to be deleted by laws applicable in your jurisdiction. Please email us at [email protected] to delete any personal data we hold.
9. YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS UNDER GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. TAO aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your personal data.
If you wish to be informed what personal data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or to delete the information we have on you. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of your personal data directly within your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact us to assist you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where TAO relied on your consent to process your personal information. You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. If you receive any marketing emails from us, you can exercise your right to stop such communications by following the unsubscribe link on any marketing emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing, please contact us using the contact information provided below.
- The right to file a complaint. You have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in your jurisdiction.
- The right to post-mortem control of your personal data. Certain jurisdictions grant post-mortem controls of your personal data and if such rights are applicable in your jurisdiction, you may have the right to establish guidelines for the preservation, deletion and transmission of your personal data after your death through a will or through your estate.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your personal data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
10. CALIFORNIA "SHINE THE LIGHT" RIGHT
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code 1798.83 grants you the right to request disclosure of the categories of personal information we provided to third parties, and the names and addresses of these third parties, for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make this request, please contact us using the contact information set forth below.
Please note that you may only make this request once per year.
11. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
the information set out below.
12. DO NOT TRACK DISCLOSURE
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a web or device setting that allows users to request that receivers of personal data stop their tracking activities. When you choose to turn on the DNT setting in your browser or device or use alternative consumer choice mechanisms, your browser or device sends a special signal to websites, analytics companies, advertising networks, plug in providers and other web services you encounter to stop tracking your activity. Currently, there are no DNT technology standards and it is possible that there may never be any DNT technology standards. As a result, we do not respond to DNT requests.
13. CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP OR BUSINESS TRANSITION
We are committed to ensuring that your data is secure. To prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, or breach, we put in place suitable physical, electronic, and administrative procedures to safeguard and secure the data we collect and process. Despite the foregoing, no server, computer or communications network or system, or data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect user information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or through the Service and you acknowledge and agree that you provide such information and engage in such transmissions at your own risk.
15. CONTACT PREFERENCES
We may communicate with you through the Service itself, but we may sometimes communicate with you via your email address in order to respond to support requests or comments. If you have provided us with your email address and would like to change the email preferences we associate with you (for example, unsubscribing from receiving certain types of email), you may do so by clicking a link within certain types of emails that we send to you or, if no link is available, by replying with “unsubscribe” in the email title or body or by modifying your email settings within the Service. On rare occasions, some emails are necessary for the Service and cannot be unsubscribed from if you continue to use the Service.
17. CONTACT US